Skip to main content

A little bit of Holland

The pictures I show you today were taken in different places in The Netherlands. I would like to tell you also something about the things I like in Holland and the things are weird for me ☺

Things I like in Holland:

- Bike routes. You can find them everywhere, even in the middle of nowhere.


- Parks and walking routes. They are nice and well-maintained.



- Cheese. I just love all kinds of cheese.
- Water. I like there is so much water here and I like how The Dutch manage their water. I wrote here a little bit about it.




- Aquatic sports. It's nice that swimming, windsurfing, kite surfing, sailing, kayaking, canoeing and other aquatics are so popular.





- Nature protection. The Netherlands still has some nature areas, wild animals and plants and I'm very glad they're protected.



- Offices and institutions. I'm always treated well. To complete formalities is almost all the time simple and fast.
- Medical care. You have probably heard not very flattering stories about the Dutch GP, but if you go to the hospital, you can count on the best care. 
- Brickwork architecture. Especially the buildings in the villages, I like to make trips through villages nearby. 


Things in Holland weird for me and things I can't understand 😉:

- Peanut sauce. Believe me, it's completely different than peanut butter. I love peanut butter. And I hate peanut sauce. And the Dutch eat fries with peanut sauce. Yuck. "Patatje oorlog?" No, thank you.
- Wearing shoes at home. I take my shoes off immediately after entering a house. It's a habit, we always do that. And I ask my guests also to take their shoes off. Fortunately my friends understand this. I want to keep my floor clean, my child is playing on the ground. I think wearing shoes all the time is also not really healthy for your feet. They need to breathe. Actually in the summer I don't wear shoes even in my garden. 
- Wearing boots in the summer. No, no, no! One more time: feet need to breathe. My husband says people wear boots in the summer because they don't care for their heels and they are ashamed to wear sandals 😆.
- The Dutch grammar. I think I will never understand how to use "de", "het" en "een".
- Pizza in the pizzeria's. I don't understand, what are they doing with pizza's in the restaurants. I have eaten pizza's in every country I was and pizza's in Holland were the worst. 

Things I don't like in Holland:

- Holland is flat. Not everywhere of course, but the place I live and the neighborhood is flat.


- It's difficult to find a place without people. And if you are lucky to find one, you are not allowed to be there.


The list of things I like/don't like is much longer of course, but I'm curious what do you thing about the habits in other lands and the things are weird for you in the countries you have visited.